"I just graduated and getting a job had been tough. All of the jobs that were available were a dead-end. I didn't want to end up waiting tables! I talked to an advisor at 4pm and she told me how to get a start in project management and gave some great advice.
The advisor told me that project management is a fast-growing profession. The demand is strong and organizations continue to look for well-trained project managers.
There are a number of ways you can get into project management and you don't need a technical degree to earn these certifications.
- A Project Coordinator Certification is good for people who do not have specific technical skills but want a job assisting project managers in coordinating multiple projects that are underway in their departments or divisions.
- People with a solid technical background might want to get the Project Lead Certification to make their technical skills more attractive. I would learn how to play a role in leading the less experienced project team members and assisting the project managers.
- A Certified Associate Project Manager would require me to complete two courses to learn the basic skills of scheduling, budgeting and tracking projects. I would be prepared to pass the CAPM exam and earn my first career certification from the Project Management Institute (PMI).
I also considered Project Manager Certifications in the following areas:
The additional credential helped me stand out from the pack and get a job with opportunities for advancement.
I got Mentoring From an Expert to Build Skills for my Professional Career
My mentor taught me well-honed tools and techniques to rise to the top of the profession. I did this by:
- Working with an expert project manager
- Getting coaching on every step
- Lectures and reading on the project management lifecycle
- Project case study assignments
- Project management software instruction
I Worked One-to-One, Online with My Personal Mentor
- I told my mentor the schedule I wanted to follow, my experience and learning style
- I could email or talk by phone with my mentor whenever I wanted
- I got written feedback and coaching on all my course assignments
- I had progress discussions whenever I wanted