|"Yeah, I had a job but there was no way to move up, take on new responsibilities or make more money. I was at a dead end.
I talked to a 4pm advisor about where I was in my career and he suggested options to add sizzle to my resume and accelerate my career.
He told me I was a 'tweener. I had good technical skills but might not be ready for project management. So he said I could consider getting certified as a Project Lead as the first test. Or I could jump right into project management
If I was ready for project management, I should consider getting a certification. Each of their two-course programs require approximately 90 hours of work at a schedule I set and a pace that I control. I'd work with a personal instructor over the Internet.
I considered certifications in the following areas:
I got my project manager certification and I was promoted shortly afterward."
I had Mentoring From an Expert to Build Skills for My Professional Career
I developed well-honed tools and techniques to rise to the top. I learned by:
- Working with an expert project manager
- Coaching on every step
- Lectures and reading on the project management lifecycle
- Project case study assignments
- Project management software instruction
- I told my instructor the schedule I wanted to follow, my experience and learning style
- I was able to email or talk by phone with my instructor whenever I wanted
- I got written feedback and coaching on all my course assignments
- I had progress discussions whenever I wanted